Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Some Plans

People ask what I'm hoping to do with this site/blog and I think it's a fair question. What I'm trying to do is have conversations with people about these movies that I enjoy. I'm not trying to be an expert or know-it-all, I'd rather learn something than just spout opinions non-stop. I'm trying to be part of the discourse, not a voice of authority.

As I said below, I haven't seen every Dead Teenager Movie out there, although I've sure seen a lot. I want to do more than review, too. Reviews, to me, should spark discussion rather than close a topic. And reviews to me are about more than just deciding whether or not I liked or didn't like a movie and would I or wouldn't I recommend it. My reviews hopefully will be more 'what did I think about watching this movie?' 'What did I notice?' 'What did this movie remind me of?' No, I won't like everything but, as this site is about Dead Teenager Movies, I do skew more positively toward the subgenre. I like the subgenre and as such like bits and pieces of it, warts and all.

I mean, I don't even hate the "Black Christmas" remake as much as everyone else did. I wouldn't call it a good movie but it had what my brother and I call "a certain charm."

I think what differentiates genre fans from non-genre fans is the ability to find that "certain charm" in even the most banal of additions to the canon. Is it something I'm always proud of? No, not really. But it does make for more fun times at the movies!

No comments: